<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Måns Zelmerlöw - Hope and Glory  

I knew before we'd even heard any of this year's Melodifestivalen entries that it would be a fantastic year. How could it not be, with BWO and Alcazar both entering, and Amy Diamond and Agnes singing songs written by The Bard and Anders Hansson respectively? However, my absolute favourite, and the one I think a) is most likely to win out of my favourites and b) would do best in Eurovision itself, is Måns Zelmerlöw (pron. Mawns Zelmerluhv). Hope and Glory continues where the legendary song which introduced Måns to MF in 2007, Cara Mia, left off. It's grand and silly and amazingly catchy, just as Eurovision songs should be. The lyrics are simple enough to cross language barriers, and have a nice, positive message. I can't help but feel uplifted just listening to this song, and with the addition of Måns' beautiful face and charismatic stage presence, in my eyes he cannot be justifiably beaten in either Melodifestivalen or Eurovision. In all the time I've followed Melodifestivalen, none of the young pop acts have won (except Stenmarck but he's very granny-friendly), and although I feel more confident about Måns than I ever did when the best song was by BWO (as it usually is), I've learnt not to get my hopes too high. Whatever happens, this will be a huge hit, and we can celebrate the continued ability of Sweden to create incredible pop music.

Powered by Blogger