<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Meg & Dia - What If  

I'm not sure why, but I seem to be particularly prone to getting songs stuck in my head at the moment. I couldn't get to sleep the last few nights because I had If I Could by The Yeah Yous circling around and around in my brain, but this morning it has thankfully been replaced by a new song, my newest obsession. What If isn't exactly the new single by Meg & Dia (who I've posted here before with their ace song Monster), but it was given away in conjunction with Seventeen magazine. Their third album is out in March and if this is any indicator, it's going to be great. The American (and often Canadian) girl-rock genre is an interesting one, because it provides us with some of pop's biggest names, all of whom (except for Avril - I've called a truce) I cannot stand, but it also produces some of the best and most underrated pop acts, such as Fefe Dobson, Lillix and Lucy Woodward. Since those acts have fallen by the wayside I haven't been thinking a lot about that side of the genre, but having recently discovered this new song by Meg & Dia, as well as a fantastic new act called Mixi, I'm reminded of how brilliant it can be.

Powered by Blogger