<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 05, 2008

Nicole Atkins - Party's Over  

I've known of Nicole by name for several months now, but never got around to listening to her music. Watching The Box the other day I kept seeing her video for new UK single Maybe Tonight, and although at first I wasn't overwhelmed, it grew on me after a few listens and I was intrigued enough to listen to some more of her music. I'm glad I did as I liked all of the songs I heard. There isn't one that I immediately thought was amazing or a potential no.1 hit, but she wins at consistency and has a sound which fits in with current successes such as Feist, Regina Spektor and Duffy, while not sounding exactly like anyone in particular. I think this kind of act does need one song, a 1234 or Fidelity, that gets them noticed, and I'm not sure if Maybe Tonight does that, but it's possible she'll gain quite a bit of popularity by word of mouth. Party's Over is the song from her album which I enjoyed the most, a sassy retro-sounding track in the vein of Duffy, Lucky Soul or the Long Blondes.

Powered by Blogger