<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Delays - You and Me  

I was both sad and confused to hear today that the brilliant electro-pop/rock group the Delays have parted ways with their record company (apparently dislike was mutual), as not only am I seeing them live this week as part of their current tour, which is most definitely still on as they mention it almost daily on their MySpace, but they had this utterly amazing song planned for their next single. You and Me is one of my absolute favourite songs of the year, and if it was a single it would most certainly be befriending BWO and September at the top of my 2006 favourite singles chart. The song begins beautifully quiet and simple, then builds up into an upbeat track that is still as moving and gorgeous as any ballad, certainly helped by singer Greg's fantastically distinctive voice. Amusingly, my mum would not believe me that he isn't a girl, thinking I was playing a trick on her, and his voice certainly is high-pitched but unlike your Justins and Lemars, it has an edge which makes it far more interesting and the emotion in the songs is unmissable. The album, You See Colours, has hardly been off my stereo since I bought it at the beginning of the year and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone reading, whether you come here for the cheesy pop or the more sophisticated music I like to post - the Delays are super-cool but they most definitely tick the box for 'poptasticness' on my musical shopping list. Give them a try, you won't regret it!

Powered by Blogger