<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Pipettes - Pull Shapes  

If this isn't my song of the summer, I shall be very surprised - it's certainly my favourite girlband song of the year so far. The Pipettes are a trio from Brighton whose fame has been growing over the last year culminating in this, their 3rd single, being released in June and their first album We Are The Pipettes in July. The Pipettes are not your typical pop girlband - they're usually seen in matching spotty dresses and their 60s sound is often compared to the bands produced by Phil Spector and accompanied with choreographed hand movements. They are bursting with exciteable girliness, but they still have heaps of feisty girl power. This song is my favourite of theirs and hopefully will be a huge hit. It reminds me of one of my absolute favourite Motown songs, Beechwood 4-5789 by the Marvelettes. It's great to have something this ace coming out of Britain, and since they're popular with lots of indie-type magazines, websites etc., they might even win over some new followers to the cause of poptasticness.

Powered by Blogger