<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Lush - Ladykillers  

Many of you will have heard of Lush, as they were one of the acest indie-pop groups of the 90s, but I think my younger readers deserve to know about them too. It took me a long time to 'get' Lush. It wasn't until I listened to this song on headphones that I could make out the lyrics and realise how brilliant they were, and a subtly sparkly pop tune soon revealed itself in it's full glory. The singer, luminous redhead Miki Berenyi's view of slimey self-loving men (for eg: "When you say you love me you're just flattering your vanity, but I don't need your practised lines, your school of charm mentality") is not only hilarious, but quite true. Lush were also proper pop stars, in the sense that they loved to party, wear flamboyant clothes and cause controversy, making them regulars in the mid-90s gossip pages. The song might take a few listens but once you get it, if you're anything like me, you will absolutely love this band.

Powered by Blogger